Friday 3 July 2020

Letting Myself Go

"She's really let herself go," they whisper.

Most people would be mortified to hear themselves described like this.  Why?  Letting go isn't a bad thing.  Letting go is freeing and creative and should be encouraged.

I'm going with the synonym of 'permitting oneself to proceed'.

If letting myself go means proceeding to a life of comfort and simplicity, then count me in.  If that's a life where instead of spending hours every five weeks undergoing self-inflicted chemical burns I can spend that time laughing or cooking or loafing, then why wouldn't I want to sign up?

If it means proceeding to an existence where underwear doesn't have to reside in uncomfortably dark niches, but can be big and accommodating then that sounds fabulous.

If a chocolate biscuit is a pleasure, not a half hour run and body hair is insulating, not disgusting then I am letting myself go right to that place.

I am letting myself go all the way to a place where comfort frees us to be our best selves, not our best-looking selves.  Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment